Kilmarnock’s former Opera £7.5 million regeneration is located within the Victorian quarter of Kilmarnock town Centre and consists of a 26,500 square feet of offices. This elegant Victorian building was restored giving it a twenty first century purpose.
The Opera House was built in 1875 and was derelict for 22 years prior to the restoration. The development now brings a historic B listed Victorian red sandstone frontage back into service. The façade was all that remained of the original Opera House after the fire in Kilmarnock's Central Conservation Area in 1989. The development which retained the front façade now provides a high quality, modern accommodation for over 250 Council staff from East Ayrshire Council. The building was restored under the Conservation Area Regeneration Schemes (CARS) using sympathetic materials and skills.
The brownfield site behind the façade was developed to incorporate the new structure located between two existing buildings using traditional techniques. The new structure consisted of a steel frame, infilled brick and blockwork with composite floors. Particular attention was given to the proximity of the works to public area and accessibility when choosing the structural system for the project. This was to ensure ease of construction to facilitate erection while providing a cost effective solution.Back to Conservation
© Copyright 2010 PUNCH Consulting Engineers // All Rights Reserved // Registered No. 111183