Inis Oírr Pier Extension
Aran Islands, Co. Galway
Client: Galway County Council
Services Provided: Project Management, C&S Engineering, Cost Management, Employers Representative, PSDP
Category: Marine & Energy
Project Duration: 2017 – Ongoing
PUNCH is engaged to manage the development of this project from the planning stage (already approved by An Bord Pleanála in 2007) through to project completion.
The approved development includes:
- a 90m long concrete pier extension to reduce wave heights in the harbour during severe storm events and to provide additional berthing;
- an attached outer breakwater with concrete armour to absorb wave energy and reduce the frequency and quantity of wave water overtopping the pier wall during severe storm events;
- an outer berth to provide additional berthing capacity during the summer months when sea conditions permit;
- capital dredging of rock to give safe navigation width at the new harbour entrance;
- an inner rock breakwater to reduce wave reflections within the harbour.
PUNCH has procured and managed the contract phase of a supplementary marine geophysical investigation.
PUNCH is assisting Galway County Council in the statutory process of acquiring the necessary legal title over the lands required for the execution of the works.
PUNCH is assisting Galway County Council with the cost management on the project to ensure that the project objectives are achieved with the best value for money.
PUNCH is managing the main contractor procurement process using a design-build form of contract to facilitate innovation in its design and construction to the greatest extent possible.